15 June 2014

New to the Queue

June swoons:

 I've been a fan of Clark Gregg ever since his role as the corporate savior in the final episodes of TV's "Sports Night," and his sophomore directorial effort (after "Choke") about a children's talent agent looks good: "Trust Me."

The Australian writer/director of "Animal Kingdom" returns with an apocalyptic tale starring Guy Pearce, "The Rover."

Bobcat Goldthwait has never let me down, going back to his debut, "Shakes the Clown," but I'm wary of yet another found-footage spooker, "Willow Creek."

Agnieszka Holland's four-hour mini-series about the 1968 Prague Spring student movement, "Burning Bush."

Sometimes I just have to trust Stephen Holden of the New York Times, so I'll find time for the whimsical French New Wave homage "2 Autumns, 3 Winters."

It looks like it might be a slog (2 hours, 18 minutes) but we're drawn to Emmanuelle Devos starring in a biopic of a WWII-era French author, "Violette." 

Depending on word of mouth, I might devote a rental down the road to the Millennials' "Love Story," the sappy cancer romance (and box-office hit) "The Fault in Our Stars."

Another rental? I saw the first one with a teenager, and I could be talked into the sequel in a moment of weakness: "22 Jump Street."

No comments: