30 June 2023

R.I.P., Alan Arkin

 

Few people made me laugh more than Alan Arkin did. He died yesterday at 89, Variety reports. Just this month, we featured one of his most memorable roles, Sheldon Kornpett in the 1979 comedy "The In-Laws."

Some personal connections: It was Arkin I always had in mind to star in the TV pilot I wrote, "Splinters," a behind-the-scenes look at an aging comedian hosting a Saturday morning kiddies' show with a pair of bickering puppets. Arkin cut his comedy canines at Second City in Chicago, as one of the troupe's founding members. 

About 20 years ago, I glimpsed him at the Santa Fe Film Festival. It was after a movie had let out, and people were kibitzing in the small lobby (probably the Screen at the College of Santa Fe). I eavesdropped as he and his wife chatted with another couple. I overheard him say, "Why don't you come over for tea?" I chuckled as I heard that indelible voice utter such a common phrase, conditioned to find him effortlessly funny.


Little-known facts: He made his debut as a stage director Off Broadway with "Eh?" in 1966, which was the debut of Dustin Hoffman. And he directed Neil Simon's "The Sunshine Boys" on Broadway over 538 performances.

BONUS TRACKS

Here is Christopher Guest as Alan Arkin from an "SNL" sketch spoofing "The Joe Franklin Show," with Billy Crystal as Franklin and Martin Short as Doug Henning, who annoys Arkin ("What are you doing?"). 

 
 
Here is Arkin re-creating a Second City bit, with Fred Katz, in 1974 (23:14 mark):
 

No comments: