04 April 2020

R.I.P., Bill Withers


My go-to song at karaoke (everyone has one) is "Ain't No Sunshine." It was Bill Withers' first hit, back in 1971. Barely two minutes of perfection. When he sang it, anyway. Withers died this week at age 81.  Here is the AP obituary.

Of course, his mega-hit "Lean on Me" inspired a film staring Morgan Freeman as a whip-cracking high school principal. The trailer makes it look cheesy (and it is at times) but damn if it doesn't get to you at times.



Withers was a lunch-bucket guy whose debut album clicked and brought him wide acclaim. He butted heads with record company executives and seems to have had a frustrating time playing the fame game. He gave it all up at a relatively young age and let the kids take over, as he faded into retirement, his legacy undiminished.

Imagine the emotional energy required to write (let alone perform) a song like "Use Me," which has one of the grooviest grooves ever constructed. (And, in this version, one of the happiest drummers.)



The essence of his early work is captured on his 1972 album "Live at Carnegie Hall." Back to ground zero. "I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know ..."


No comments: