22 January 2020

R.I.P., Terry Jones


Terry Jones, one of the founding members of Monty Python and perhaps the pepperiest of its pepperpots, died yesterday at 77 after battling dementia in recent years. He was a prolific writer and director over the past 50-plus years, and he was the guiding force as director of the Pythons' classic films, including "Life of Brian," where he did a memorable turn as Brian's put-upon mother. ("He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy.")


I just wrapped up an analysis of the "Up" series of films, which started in 1964 and followed a co-hort of British baby boomers through, so far, age 63. The tag line of the series is an adage that states: Give me the boy at 7 and I'll show you the man. In my case, you need to be patient until age 14, because it wasn't until I had experienced and internalized "Monty Python's Flying Circus" during the mid-'70s that I could be considered fully formed. I simply wouldn't be the person I am without Monty Python -- for better or worse. (It's a fair cop.)

Maybe someday I'll follow up on my decades-long intention of analyzing "The Meaning of Life" from 1983 as the definitive fuck-you from a group of performers to the industry as well as to their fans. Jones had two of the most delicious lines in the film -- "I've had another son!" and "I couldn't eat another bite." So many memories from everyone's favorite naked organist.

Here is the BBC tribute to Terry Jones, with plenty of essential clips:


 

No comments: