29 March 2016

So I Don't Have To


In an occasional feature, we present capsule reviews from correspondents who go see the movies that we don't have an interest in seeing.  Today, veteran filmgoer Phillip Blanchard weighs in on yet another randomly populated super-hero action extravaganza, Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice.

It's no fun, it’s badly written, it’s dark to a fault, and it’s implausible even for a comic-book movie.

You don’t necessarily go to such a film looking to laugh, but a little humor would have helped, even if weren’t much.

I can’t fault Zack Snyder for creating characters at odds with the universe from which they came. I don’t even mind that a major good guy “died.” But I do object to a movie that is too long by nearly an hour, and which failed to make me suspend belief as I might do watching a Marvel movie.

One good thing: Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman.

GUEST GRADE: C

No comments: