16 February 2016

So I Don't Have To


In an occasional feature, we present capsule reviews from correspondents who go see the movies that we don't have an interest in seeing.  Today, veteran filmgoer Phillip Blanchard weighs in on yet another super-hero/career-reboot action extravaganza, "Deadpool":

I go to movies like this with my son. He’s now 18 and I still questioned my parenting watching “Deadpool.”

It’s a comedy superhero film and much of it is very funny. But while I generally don’t object to foul language or graphic cartoon violence, this is a bit much.

Ryan Reynolds is a step above most Marvel actors, and it’s always nice to see Morena Baccarin ("Homeland"). Despite the film's overdependence on shock language and mutilation, I was happy to see it. But I doubt I’ll see it again.

I did wonder why several parents brought their 10-year-olds to see it. Maybe I’m not such a bad parent after all.

GUEST GRADE: B
  

No comments: