24 September 2014

Soundtrack of Your Life: JFK

An occasional feature in which we mark the songs of our relative youth as played over public muzak systems. 

Date: 21 September 2014, 7:45 p.m., EDT
Place: JFK Airport, New York
Song:  "Don't Swallow the Cap"
Artist: The National
Irony Matrix: 2 out of 10
Comment: How hip is the PA DJ at one of the world's busiest international airports? Or how far down the hipster scale have the National, the clan from Ohio, slipped or slid as they bleed into the mainstream. The general music selection on a Sunday night in Terminal 5 was surprisingly poppy. I assume they were current or recent hits, because I didn't recognize them, and younger people were bopping their heads to them. There definitely was a big chart in play, with lines zagging up, down, right and left, and backward and forward in time. I'm a bit up and off to the left. An outlier. Every once in a while my line intersects with another's.

"I'm not alone. I'll never be. And to the bone ... I'm evergreen."

They had me right up until "evergreen." Winterfresh? I flew home. Autumn arrived. The moment passed.





No comments: