04 October 2013

The annotated capsule

What might be a great movie suffers from a capsule summary loaded with red flags. Let's break it down:

'GRAVITY' - Dr. Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock(1)) is a medical engineer on her first shuttle mission. Her commander is veteran astronaut Matt Kowalsky(2) (George Clooney(3)), helming his last flight before retirement(4). Then, on a routine space walk, disaster strikes(5) -- the shuttle is destroyed, leaving Ryan and Matt stranded in deep space with no link to Earth and no hope of rescue(6). As their fear turns to panic, they realize that the only way home may be to venture further into space(7).

Cast: Sandra Bullock(8), George Clooney, Ed Harris(9), Orto Ignatiussen(10)
 Director: Alfonso CuarĂ³n(11)

1 - First off ... "Ryan Stone"? Is she the granddaughter of Dash Riprock? As for Ms. Bullock, I vaguely recall making some sort of vow after watching the trailer for "While You Were Sleeping" in 1995 to never watch one of her movies, though I don't feel bound by that. I've only seen her in "Crash," one of my least favorite movies of recent memory, and I liked the bits of her performance in "All About Steve" whenever I would stop on HBO for 10 minutes or so.
2 - Astronaut Matt Kowalsky? Is he a regular guy, or what?
3 - I can watch Mr. Clooney in just about anything. I caught the last half hour of the perfect "Up in the Air" the other day, and I marveled anew at his performance.
4 - It's the old "veteran cop on his last day" routine. Gee, I hope nothing goes horribly wrong on Matt Kowalsky's final flight in space!
5 - But then ... !
6 - No hope. So I guess they die in the end.
7 - Sounds crazy, but it just might work!
8 - I feel a little bad that I've referred to Ms. Bullock as America's Puppy, and she might be tolerable in this; she just happens to make movies I have no interest in seeing ... or regret having seen.
9 - Dammit, reliable ol' Ed Harris picked the wrong day to give up sniffing glue.
10 - I missed his turn as Kajut in "Ikingut" (2000).
11 - "Y Tu Mama Tambien" and "Children of Men" would make my list of top films of the 21st century so far. I think I'll give Mr. Cuaron another go; this sounds ambitious. "While You Were SpaceWalking: 2013."

No comments: