11 August 2013

New to the Queue

They keep making movies, I keep making plans to see 'em:

A documentary about the influence of the blues on rock 'n' roll, "Born in Chicago."

It's been a while since Madeline Zima slugged David Duchovny, and "Breaking the Girls" looks like saucy fun.

I have found my summer blockbuster! "Elysium."

A debut feature by the actress Lake Bell, the story of a young woman trying to break into voice-over work, "In a World ..."
 
I'm a sucker for unbearably gloomy, tragic tales, so bring on the unbearably sad "Our Children."

If only for Aubrey Plaza and a few laughs, "The To-Do List."

I really liked Miles Teller in "Rabbit Hole," didn't care much for the execution of "(500) Days of Summer" (though the screenplay was fine)and I appreciate the makers of "The Descendants," and that comes together in the promising snarky-teen saga "The Spectacular Now."

I'll watch just about any documentary, so why not put "Jamel Shabazz: Street Photographer" in the queue.

And then there's "The Good Son: The Life of Ray 'Boom Boom' Mancini."

And what looks like a fascinating social experiment, the Soviet Georgian documentary "The Machine Which Makes Everything Disappear." 

I'm torn about the both the biopic "Lovelace" and the latest David Gordon Green ramble (with Paul Rudd and Emile Hirsch) "Prince Avalanche."

Someday, when it's raining late at night and I'm not appreciating my limited time on Earth, I may sample the first 20 minutes of Paul Schrader's messed-up trash "The Canyons" and maybe feel icky afterward.

I've seen roughly one Woody Allen film in the past 30 years (the ridiculous "Vicky Christina Barcelona"), and it might be time to check in on his latest with Cate Blanchett. (Translation: I expect to be dragged to "Blue Jasmine" as penance for refusing to go see "Midnight in Paris.")

No comments: